Captured Strata Series

by Libby on September 7, 2008

The Connecticut Bead Society’s Annual Bead Bazaar is next weekend and I’ve been busy making work to sell at the SCPCG booth.  I have a pile of silver boxes I made over the summer ready to be filled, but instead I’ve been working on a new idea.  I’m calling the series “Captured Strata”.  This was one of those ideas that quite literally dragged me out of bed last weekend.  Fortunately, I’m happy with the results.

They’re pretty straightforwad to construct, but the soldering gods have not been smiling on me so I have had some trouble with the bails.  I think when my metalsmithing class starts up again in a few weeks, I am going to have to spend some serious time practicing soldering.  The limitations of my tiny butane torches, coupled with my inexperience, really make soldering challenging.

In addition to the Strata series, I’ve got a few other pieces done.  You can find my latest work on Flickr.

If you are in the area, check out the CT Bead Society’s Bead Bazaar, Saturday & Sunday, September 13 & 14, 2008, 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. at the Holiday Inn, North Haven, CT.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

{ 6 comments }

Bettina September 7, 2008 at 5:06 pm

Oh Libby these new pieces are to die for – lovely!!!

Libby September 7, 2008 at 7:52 pm

Thanks Bettina, they’re fun to do. I have to keep myself from only concentrating on the Strata pieces.

Will Scarvie September 8, 2008 at 12:05 am

Hi Libby,

I just love the Captured Strata images you shared. What a terrific idea! You’ve got a great eye for color combinations and composition. I couldn’t tell whether you intended to take these to the upcoming bead show but, if so, I look forward to hearing how they were received. With standing applause, I’ll bet!

Will

Lisa Clarke September 8, 2008 at 2:25 pm

These new pieces are amazing! I love the greens as usual, but I’m intrigued by the copper, too. It’s not a common choice, but I like it.

Libby September 8, 2008 at 7:03 pm

Thanks Will, I will be taking most of the new Strata pieces to the bead show. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that they sell.

Thanks Lisa too! I have seen a lot of findings in copper lately, probably due to the relatively low cost. So, I thought I would do a few pieces in copper for a change of pace.

Sasha Torres September 10, 2008 at 1:38 pm

Libby, these are just gorgeous!

{ 1 trackback }