The studio mess is under control. I am so excited I can barely contain myself. Really. The tables have been cleared off, and my metals and soldering work areas are all set. I’ve still got to clear up my polymer clay work area, but it’s okay for now. As a reward for all my cleaning, I cut out and filed 3 unfinished bezels I found while cleaning, that I had soldered a few weeks ago at the Guilford Art Center. They were tucked away in a compartment of my metals class tool box, and I had started to wonder if I had imagined soldering them to base sheets.
I am really excited about the new ventilation system I put in at my soldering table. One of the really nifty things about taking a Rio Grande Education In Motion class, like the Microfold Texture class I took at Bead & Button, is that you get to try out lots of exciting tools from the catalog. The item that most intrigued me in the class was the ventilation system they had set up at the soldering stations.
(click to enlarge)
It’s a dual filter system designed for fume extraction at a soldering station. It is fitted with a “Loc-line” hose which is flexible, but will stay where you aim it. The shorter section at the front of the base unit is a noise dampener which works beautifully to bring the fan noise down to a reasonable level. It’s a powerful unit and without the dampener, it sounds like an industrial fan.
My basement studio doesn’t have any windows and it was more than time for me to install some kind of ventilation system. I don’t do tons of soldering here, but I do enough that I needed to address the issue. What I like about this system is that it is portable. If I rearrange the studio, I can move it to a new spot. When we eventually move again, it goes with me. It’s quite powerful and with the noise dampener, quiet enough that I can still hear my ipod playing (ok, blaring) in the background. And I am pretty happy that installing it didn’t require cutting a hole in a wall.